Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It Pulls You Back In...

This is about life, Dave LOL.

Nice one Vern, keep doing your own thing buddy. Personal choice and at least on this forum. We can chop and change and say what we wish. Without being hounded by the fanbois of which ever game, they slavishly worship.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Run8 is as good as it gets in my opinion. As I've said best train simulator on the planet. Despite that it's funny this title is pulls you in when in fact it actually becomes the opposite for me and it has nothing to do with Run8. It has to do more with life and getting older and growing. What used to keep me up late hours of the night a few years ago can't even get me to stay up later on a Friday night now.

I got real busy recently with both work and watching the Blue Jays (baseball team in Toronto for you guys across the ocean). Suddenly I forgot what was pulling me in. So Friday night I'm with my son looking for survival games and I picked up Medieval Dynasty. Last night I was up until 2am woke up at 7am. Now it's just past 11pm and I have to shut the computer down because work starts up again for the week tomorrow.

Sure it's addictive but it has tons of repeat playability to it. That is something that no train simulator no matter how good has been able to do. This also includes ATS which is one of the best truck simulators.

Anyways I don't want to go off topic any further as yes this is about Run8. It's only going to get better for them and I sincerely wish them all the best of luck. As for TSW they could go bankrupt for all I care

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Okay is this about Run8 or TSW
    As the OP I’m quite happy with how the conversation is developing, so let’s not be too heavy handed. Inevitably as you play one game your attention wanders to another. So yesterday evening I finished off a nice electric hauled freight run on Wurzburg to Kassel, today I’ll probably be back at Sparks forming up my outgoing trains from the local traffic. Run 8 cannot exist in its own little bubble or pretend that other sims don’t exist. Heck I bet even John and Brad, when they aren’t coding or 3D modelling, sneak over to the competition for a bit of R &R. It provides perspective is all and getting protective over Run 8, as I’ve said before, does nothing to further its cause.

As someone said on The Depot forum the other day, if you want to experience railway operations outside of the limited territories and train types of Run 8, then you do need to shop elsewhere. Actually that’s not a bad comparison - our weekly shopping takes us to Aldi, Asda, Tesco and occasionally Sainsburys. All the shops do some things well and others not. So if I want to drive an electric hauled freight in Germany, or the US for that matter, I can’t find that in Run 8. On the other hand if I want a detailed simulation of yard work and local traffic, or a 400 mile run from Fresno to Seligman, I also know where to shop!
    Vern.

Sainsbury's You are definitely middle class Vern

As everyone knows i chop and change between all of them. At the moment i am having great fun with a route called Industrial Mayhem, in Trainz 2022. Which is payware DLC and i get access through my membership. Has a built in hump shunting facility and i have to say, works more efficiently than Run8's. But as Sean said, Run8 also has the 400 mile mainline, so swings and roundabouts. The only one i will not entertain is TSW3. Been far too many false dawns with DTG, nothing ever changes. Plus their contempt for their customer base is plain to see. I even dabble in Open Rails every so often and even that has something to offer, in it's own right.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ..... I even dabble in Open Rails every so often ..
    As do I, Mike.
    At the moment, Mullan Pass is my "go to" route in OR and I am looking forward to their (TrainSimulations) Mount Shasta offering.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Nice one Bruce, i pretty much stick to UK railways in OR, buddy.

I have seen Mullan Pass on the TS site, but not been tempted to purchase anything for OR.

I use the MSTS addons with it. MidEastPlus being my go to UK route for OR.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

MEP is still one of the best. Also North Wales Coast, though neither are "pure" OR routes so probably upset one or two people in that area of the forum...

And to keep this (sort of) OT again emphasises that certain areas you have to go outside Run 8 to get your fix. I'm sure there would be potential for a Run 8 style UK route, I mean 3DTS have all the assets and resources from their MSTS days - a Cambrian Line which you could either despatch yourself or have the equivalent of Otto at Machynlleth doing RETB - that would be great!
    Vern.

Yes Vern, NWC v2 is very good. As is the Cambrian Line v2, which would be great in a Run8 enviroment.

Actually if Run8 had joined together UK routes like SoCal, i would be as happy as a piggie in the mucky stuff.

Cambrian would be long enough on it's own though, what a thought. Never happen though, so dreams back in the box

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

You know as much as I seriously have no issue with Run8 and have taken an extended break again (while I play Medieval Dynasty) some sort of profit sharing approach for route developers with editors to me would be a win win. I totally get they are a small team and the editors are probably not very user friendly that they use. However, if they could get to a point where they have something useable and offer profit sharing to add into the Run8 official library, I would think that would help their business model, while keeping the tech support down.

Even MSTS never supported their editors and I remember specifically that being the case. But I also understand this is a business and they need to make money to further develop the software.

I don't know if it would be enough to gain my primary interest as I've grown tired of train simulators and trains in general me thinks. The only thing I was looking forward to was Railroader and even that is so far down the road still that I had to find something else right now.

Thanks

Sean

Good post Sean, i think my main problem. Is train games exhaustion, not necessarily the games themselves.

I believe DTG & N$V have partners that make content for them. Why couldn't the Run8 developers do the same ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd