Thread: Taking a break from Train Simulators

Default Taking a break from Train Simulators

I actually have already been doing this for about a month now, as I continue to spend my free time with Medieval Dynasty. In fact I stopped running ATS as well.

I'm looking forward to Railroader in 2023. Hopefully some of those new regions Run8 has mentioned will include something more manageable for a single player or small server to run realistically. Railroader will not be as good of a Train Simulator as Run8 but it already has much better graphics and is dealing with a route less that 20 miles.

Personally I'd be happy for a nice 60 mile switching zone, with single track railroading and a dozen industries to keep things interesting. Something like a small to medium size yard where locals CAN be done in a 24 hour time frame. That along with some mainline trains that work the yard with through traffic (it can be busy enough to have a small double track seciton but I would perfer mostly single track). Something that has quality over quantity. In Run8 that would be absolutely amazing and if I could build a route I would certainly do it, but I can't.

We'll see what the future holds. Maybee is someone can teach me how to do artwork I could actually try and do my own sim like others have suggested. Easier said then done. I like playing games and sims, not developing them. But I do believe the demand is there.

Thanks

Sean

I do not have any train games on the pc Sean. Trucks are still here, but not played ETS2 for over a month and ATS for 10 days to a fortnight. That is Railroader off my might buy list. If it is only 20 miles, too short for my tastes buddy.

Been looking at Steam for that game of games i could buy. Genre wouldn't matter, but there is nothing that remotely looks worth spending money on.

Apathy rules here Sean.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Well if I could get some help I would build my own train simulator Honestly I wouldn't mind a descent programmer and artist. Sure I can program but I would rather design, manage, play, interact with a community. I don't mind splitting my profits 3 ways or perhaps have some volunteers.

I honestly don't know who are volunteers and who get paid with Run8 (even if I did that is all NDA stuff apparently I'm bound for life on) for example but they've had 10 years of development behind them along with keeping jobs. Last I heard John was full time (but that may have changed). Of course Jason owns the southeast with his company and is still producing. Mikey in the Northeast I'm not sure what he's up to these days. Would love to be a fly on the wall and know what regions are coming down the road as I'm very much interested in the future of Run8 and it's continued success no matter what I end up doing.

For now Medieval Dynasty is my go to and will continue to be that way at least until 2023 when Railroader comes out. I know how you feel about it being too small. My fear is that I may not get as much years with it if it becomes too repetitive. 13 miles can only do so much and that is including MP if you want (but you can easily do single player on that and will at the start before even considering to open my door to the public or membership to RTS).

Ideally my heart is for something not too big but not too small. Keep in mind as much as you like the better looking scenery it takes time, effort, and I guess money to create all that cool stuff. I have a full time job, and a young teenager to have fun with right now. He shares his love for MD. But he also loves trains like his dad. He loves to create, I just with I could get him to be my artist. He'll build routes for Trainz which he continued to do so long after I stopped playing it. So he is very creative but not artistic if that makes sense.

Anyways that's where I stand right now. Time to get ready for the day and some Medieval Dynasty and watching baseball. Baseball is such a long season and is such a waste of time. But my team is in the playoffs now and I enjoy watching. Thankfully the season will be over soon and I hope to stay away from Hockey as I have for the most part over the past 10 years.

Thanks

Sean

Enjoy your break. This isn't "A Christmas Story" and there's no need to write an essay about what you plan to do with the time away or why you deserve the Red Ryder BB gun....

(for anyone wondering, a similar approach has been taken with other "why I left the hobby" posts so this isn't personal)
    Last edited by eolesen; 10-02-2022 at 03:25 PM.