Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornby TT 120 Model Railway

If I were to return to model railways it would be with Z-scale.
    I could fit a whole world in my study.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Funnily enough, Mike, when I was doing my electrical apprenticeship (not long after Noah built the ark ) we were told in no uncertain terms that (quote/unquote) "Motors are powered by electricity and engines run on petrol"!
    He never mentioned steam.
    To me this is the true definition of a steam engine, Bruce. A static unit, used either as a pump or for providing power.

In railway terms, it is a locomotive, because it propels itself. The same as the correct definition of the road version. Is not a traction engine, but a road locomotive.

Z scale would be far too small for both my eyes and hands, Bruce. N scale doesn't interest me for the same reason buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Seen the Sam Trains video thanks WD, blokes voice gets right up my nose.

Brush Type 2 from Heljan would have been nice. Bit expensive though, £50 more than the Hornby loco's.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    To me this is the true definition of a steam engine, Bruce. A static unit, used either as a pump or for providing power.....
    I get you. Yes....that is understandable.
    So a rail locomotive would be a vehicle powered by either a steam engine, a combustion engine or an electric motor?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Exactly Bruce, mind the times i have been called pendantic on trainsim forums.

Or told we do not need a history lesson. Leads me to believe that most people who profess an interest in railways.

Have a very narrow knowledge of their subject\hobby.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Exactly Bruce, mind the times i have been called pendantic on trainsim forums.

Or told we do not need a history lesson. Leads me to believe that most people who profess an interest in railways.

Have a very narrow knowledge of their subject\hobby.

Mike.
    None of us are ever so old or wise to not be able to learn something.
    I am amazed at times at things I've learned since the ability to discover information online. The best thing about the internet: learning something new.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Cost aside, I think it could be useful for those who don't have the space for a HO/OO layout but find N Gauge a bit too small and fiddly.
    Yep, although I am still in sticker shock as well....

I was fortunate that my father invested thousands into his HO collection over 30 years of collecting, and neither of my siblings have any desire or actual knowledge of its value... There's no way I could buy into it today.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    None of us are ever so old or wise to not be able to learn something.
    I am amazed at times at things I've learned since the ability to discover information online. The best thing about the internet: learning something new.
    Spot on Bruce, completely agree. As my old dad used to say. Only a fool or a liar professes to know everything.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Questions and answers video, from 2 days back.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

First of the TT120 sets delivered.

Yma O Hyd