Thread: Why Switzerland built a 2-kilometer-long train

Default Why Switzerland built a 2-kilometer-long train

This CNN story goes into more depth about the route history, planning, and operations of the history-making Oct. 29, 2022 100-coach Albula Line memorial excursion, the world's longest-ever passenger train.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...and/index.html

Why Switzerland built a 2-kilometer-long train

(CNN) — High in the Swiss Alps, St Moritz made its name as a place for pushing the boundaries of winter sport. By the time it hosted the second Winter Olympics Games in 1928 its reputation as a playground for wealthy adventurers was already well established.

On Saturday, the region continued its long tradition of expanding the limits of what is possible with an epic world record attempt -- not on snow or ice, but on rails.

To celebrate the 175th anniversary of Switzerland's first railway, the country's rail industry came together to run the world's longest-ever passenger train -- 100 cars, 2,990 tonnes and almost two kilometres long.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

I'm wondering if the Ringling Brothers train ever exceeded that length. Entirely possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgdSBn7uXM

Location is LIRR Forest Hills Station view West at the approaching RB Circus train.
    I never thought of counting the wagons.

regards
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgdSBn7uXM

Location is LIRR Forest Hills Station view West at the approaching RB Circus train.
    I never thought of counting the wagons.

regards
    Hmm.
    four MP15/SW1500 units at roughly 52 feet a piece. = 208'
    thirty-six coach/baggage cars at roughly 85 feet a piece. = 3060'
    five pack spine set at roughly 300 foot in length. = 300'
    nineteen flats at 89' in length. = 1691'

5259' total, 5416 with the 3 percent stretch, 1.65 kilometers. That's close. Looks like Switzerland may hold this record for awhile, because I personally don't recall a passenger train anywhere being 2 kilometers, 6561.67' or 1.24 miles.

Which is interesting, as most freight trains in the United States and Canada reach up to 3 miles in length, I think BNSF hauls close to 15000 foot trains a lot.
    -Shawn K-