Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Row crop scenery.

Hi,

This is probably a really stupid question, but I can't find any scenery elements with corn, wheat, etc., and I'm sure it's because I'm not using the right search string, but I can't seem to figure out what to search for.

I don't remember seeing any crops in the downloads.
    I have several that came from other routes.
    Zeya01.s is a corn field that's available on several of the Russian routes. It's pretty good.
    The best thing to do would be to download foreign routes and start copying anything that looks interesting.
    TSRE Shape Viewer is good for this. It'll give you the .s file and all of the texture file names. The texture view is good for showing what the texture looks like and the possibility of modifying it.
    A little texture mod can make a yuge difference.
    There's a lot of really good stuff out there, and a lot of junk. Just copy the stuff you feel good about.

Randy

Comment

The only problem I have with crop objects is they're flat. Fields aren't.

A long standing suggestion I've had in with the ORTS team is an option to render forest objects in a row or grid instead of random placement....

If they do this, you'd have wheat or corn that follows the terrain. Likewise for tree farms and fruit orchards....

But no, it's not on the radar unless others start asking for it.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Search Filename smmcorn1

I used this cornfield on the Thousand Islands Railway years ago. Comes with four seasonal textures. Looked great but as Eric said it needs a long flat area. I did try the smallest shape on a hill when I was doing the Dominion Atlantic route and it didn't look that great, the corn rows "spawn" before my eyes as I approached, but maybe now with OR spawning tiles farther in advance it might work better.

Paul :-)

Comment

Paul,

I found these about 10 years ago on a Russian Train-Sim site. Really well-made vegetation in 4 different sets. Agriculture, Water and Swamp, Home Gardens and Trees. The Agriculture set has fields of oats, corn, wheat both young green and mature golden and chaff among others in 50x50m arrangements. Only downside they only come in summer textures but still might be worth taken a look at by you. And like Eric said they aren't for rolling field but more for flat (I used them in Central & South Jersey because of the flatness of the terrain there).

The set name that it is in named "Vol. 4 - Agriculture Version 1.0​". Hope this helps you out a bit. I put the link below for you and others interested.

- Mark -

The Cornfields

The Wheatfields

- Mark -

Comment

I substitute the textures with a blank.ace file in the winter so I don't see them. But I agree, these are all great files if you can still
            find them.
            Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Originally posted by qballbandit View Post
              I substitute the textures with a blank.ace file in the winter so I don't see them. But I agree, these are all great files if you can still
              find them.
              I do the same for them in winter too.

I did put the link below the screenshots for anyone the wants to download them.

For me the Agriculture set, Water and Swamp set and Home Gardens set I live for in redoing the Blue Comet Route. The water and shoreline plants, trees and bogs are perfect and the Agriculture set for that Jersey Corn and Tomatoes.
              - Mark -

Comment

Years back, Frank Eyer (?) released an irrigator set of files. Basic, could use some paint, but I'll throw them in here and there on these farmscapes. You have that one, Mark??
                Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Originally posted by qballbandit View Post
                  Years back, Frank Eyer (?) released an irrigator set of files. Basic, could use some paint, but I'll throw them in here and there on these farmscapes. You have that one, Mark??
                  I do have that one to Neil. I found it a few weeks ago while going through my add-on files. I believe I gave that system a rusty-red color because I see them colored that way in NJ here.

I have another one to I got off I believe it was a Polish or Romanian site that is a series of above ground pipes with short hoses connected to it. I see these types of irrigators in Central and South Jersey of smaller tomato, zucchini, blueberry and strawberry farms. On the small hose they would connect a black soaker hose or a flat sprinkler hose to them between the rows. Odd but it worked and a few small farms I know of down there still use that system to this day. Even my grandfather made something similar for the garden at my childhood home here. I took it out a few years back because the galvanize pipe finally had it after almost 70 years.
                  - Mark -

Comment

Originally posted by rdayt View Post
                    TSRE Shape Viewer is good for this. It'll give you the .s file and all of the texture file names. The texture view is good for showing what the texture looks like and the possibility of modifying it.
                    A little texture mod can make a yuge difference.
                    Since I'm just getting started, I'm curious about previewing scenery items.

Would it make sense to create a dummy route and stick all your downloaded scenery in that route, so that you can preview it there without having to copy the scenery files into your target route, edit the REF file, and then check to see if it fits what you're looking for?

Comment

I would put everything that appeals to you in one shapes/textures place. I have over 9000 in mine
                      Adding it to the .ref file is easy.
                      If you need a good place to start, the MONON has probably the best collection around.
                      Start with that and add to it.

Randy

Comment

That's one way of doing it, and it would potentially avoid you having unwanted objects in a route distribution.

Another idea is to use Shapeviewer. You can browse thru a directory fairly quickly.

As for the REF file..... personally.... I don't use them.

I do have one with only five or six generic objects in it. I'll drop one of those close to where I need it, and change the edit the shapefile name on the fly.

It still requires having the .S and .ACE files in my route's shape / textures folders, but that's a fairly easy process to copy/paste and merge with the existing folders.

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                          Another idea is to use Shapeviewer. You can browse thru a directory fairly quickly.
                          Huh. I did not know that you could browse outside folders with Shapeviewer. I thought it just pulled stuff from the route folder.

Comment

Shapeviewer will open a shape file in any folder and it will export the textures.
                            Comes in handy.
                            Get the new one that handles .dds.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rdayt View Post
                              Shapeviewer will open a shape file in any folder and it will export the textures.
                              Ah. I had been thinking of the 'view shape' tool in TSRE5.

I've got the latest Shape Viewer app installed now.

I've been able to preview objects which have their textures in an 'adjacent' directory (e.g. shapes in {some item}\SHAPES\something.s, and textures in {some item}\TEXTURES\something.ace). However, I'm not sure how to pull textures from other directories (e.g. '{some item}\COMMON TEXTURES\something.ace and {some item}\SHAPES\LARGE\something.s)

Comment

Working...
                              X